Saturday, July 30, 2011

Interesting

One concept I found very interesting was when the text was describing the term apples and oranges. This is a really important concept to know about in my opinion because it seems people throw numbers all the time to make them seem knowledgeable. Apples and oranges is when there is a numerical comparisons but it does not make sense to even compare the items at all. It is good to catch when this happens so that you will not be fooled or manipulated. But even with any kind of comparison, it is important to know that there is a similarity between the things that are being compared rather than not obtaining the right information.  It is very important to know all the facts and the correct information between the compassions. Knowing and understanding this concept will be very useful and can save you or anyone from being mislead in any type of situation. 

1 comment:

  1. Good job Emily! I really enjoyed reading this post. I agree that the whole apples and oranges concept is very important when stating claims which include numbers. Making your claims including numbers can be a slippery slope, especially if the numbers you are using in your comparison or argument. If not, it can really hurt your argument and make it not as strong as if you were to relate the numbers to whatever claim you are stating. I was actually confused when I first read this concept in the book, but your post explained the concept very well. Very good post and explanation.

    ReplyDelete