Friday, July 1, 2011

Conditionals

One concept that I found particularly interesting are conditionals and their contradictories. Conditionals are important because they explain if one situation occurs then another one will fallow. It kind of fallows the cause and effect pattern. It shows that if the first situation does happen then the second one will occur. The first situation is the antecedent and the one that fallows is the consequent.  It also explains that sometimes individuals make a conditional with a false antecedent to express how the world may be. That is similar to a hypothetical situation. For example; if no one owned a car, our health would be better. Even thought the antecedent is not true, it expresses how I feel what would happen if the world did not have cars. A contradictory of a conditional is if the antecedent happens then the consequent has a contradiction. So the consequent could be different then what the conditional explains. 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your post. I picked the same thing in my Chapter 6 discussion, and I think you did a very good job in explaining it. I like your way of explaining "fallows the cause and effect pattern" which makes Conditional understanding. I like the example you used for your post. It matches the way your definition so, it was easy for follow up both definition and example. I also like how you explained how your example makes to a conditional and their contradictions. That shows that you want to make sure your readers have a clear understanding and how it is conditional and their contradiction. Keep up the work!

    ReplyDelete