Thursday, July 21, 2011

Appeal to Pity

Appealing to the emotion can make a good argument for the fact that emotions have a huge impact on everyone. As human beings we run off our emotions so when trying to convincing someone something important, using an appeal to the emotion is a great way to be convincing. In the text, one aspect I found very interesting when appealing to emotion is using an appeal to pity. Using an appeal to emotion makes one feel bad they are not doing something that they should be. The most common example is when on television there is a commercial that is very depressing that shows kids starving and in poor conditions. The commercial asks for donations to help these kids. Of course, it makes us a human beings feel terrible, so some donate. However, not all of us donate so it questions us to think if we are good people. This is an excellent way to appeal to pity. 

2 comments:

  1. Gummybear, your post was very interesting. I agree with you that emotion plays a major part in our decision making and has great effects on us. Emotion being so important in our lives certainly makes appeals to emotion very powerful. The appeal to pity as you discussed is a well known appeal and is very common in our lives. The example you gave of a commercial showing poor kids and then asking for donations is a prime example. I have seen commercials like these many times and they do make me feel sad for the kids, especially when they show the living conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I found your post to be vey interesting. I like how you used pity as an example of appeal to the emotion. I do agree with you in what you say about emotions influencing the way we think and feel emotions. I could deeply connect to what you were saying about the ad about donation to the hungry and questioning yourself as a good human being. I have seen those commercials about donating as little as a dollar a day could make a world of a difference to a child's life and it does make me want to help even if I'm not financially stable. Overall, appeal to pity can sometimes be very tough to make a decision.

    ReplyDelete