Friday, June 17, 2011

Communication

In chapter 4 in the Group Communication book by Dan O’ Hair and Mary o. Wiemann, they discuss a few concepts of communication in organization that I found very interesting. They give three different models of group organization each of which relates to me especially in the work field. I word in retail in the cashiering department. Therefore I have three different types of relationships: between superiors and subordinates, team leaders and team members, and organizational department. It explains that between superior and subordinates that the communication is primarily based on completing jobs that need to be done.  However, what I found more interesting is that the relationship between team leaders and team members is to communicate to work together and make decisions together. I was always under the impression that the lead at work was in charge and that is that. But this has opened my eyes to realize that it is important to communicate with them to make things improve in the work area. Lastly they explain that communication between organizations is key for business reasons. Since I am part of the cashiering department there are many other different departments I work with such as supplies, clothing, ect. I must communicate with them often in order to complete transactions correctly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment