Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chapter 6

One concept I found extremely useful in chapter six was False Dilemmas. False dilemmas are when you misuse the “or” in a claim. In a false dilemma you are not including all the possibilities of the dilemma instead, you are only considering the implausible or false claim. There could be other alternatives yet they are not provided. It is important to avoid false dilemmas in arguments. Using false dilemmas shows that you have not considered all the other alternatives possible which makes for a bad argument. A good example of a false dilemma is when a child wants to go out to the mall and the mother asks why. The child says, “I could go to the mall and have fun or I could stay at home and do nothing”. This is a false dilemma because there are other alternatives other than the two the child said. I am sure there are things the child would be able to do at home yet they fail to recognize that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment